September 11, 2012

vacation happiness, part 4: nyc

IMG_1530
IMG_1526
IMG_1536
Marimekko
Playing on the Touch while I spent a few minutes trying to choose a fabric print
IMG_1540
IMG_1519
IMG_1465
Getting goofy in Anthropologie
IMGP8526

This year, we chilled and walked around our hotel in Chelsea and the Flatiron districts, just wandering, people watching and yep, eating. As much as I wanted to try all the hip, cool and now eateries, after a day of non-stop walking we weren't too keen on taking a taxi to go to those places. So we relied on apps like Yelp & Lunchbox to find us some decent places to eat close to our hotel. One of those places I ended up liking is the Hill Country Chicken joint in Chelsea. I enjoyed their chicken tenders (sometimes I just like to eat some ho-down simple food) and home-made pies. They also had an awesome soda fountain (only for the mister and I, Keira does not drink soda, she finds them too 'spicy') with stuff like Diet Crème, root beer and... black cherry! Mmmm...

Hill Country Chicken, Chelsea
Hill Country Chicken, Chelsea
Hill Country Chicken, Chelsea
Hill Country Chicken, Chelsea

We also stumbled upon the Marimekko store where I had a hard time choosing some fabric and Restoration Hardware (where we loved pretty much everything).. Keira just loved sitting on the sofas and parking her butt. There was Eataly.. and a Starbucks at almost every corner.

her cappuccino (hot cocoa)
"Look Mommy! Just like you, my own cappuccino!".. not really, just a kid's size hot cocoa

IMGP8540
IMGP8547
IMGP8557
IMGP8558
IMGP8572

Whenever we go to New York, we always end up at Times Square for one reason or another. Mostly though, we're there for Tickets of the Day. That's where you can line up and get tickets to Broadway and off Broadway shows at discount. You can also check out Playbill.com to read about new and old shows. My husband got me hooked on Broadway shows/musicals the first time we came to the city together (he brought me to see Rent!) and now, we want to pass along our love of Broadway to Keira. So far so good! This year, we checked out our Tkts app and made sure we were at the Tickets of the Day Times Square location about an hour before opening. The Mister bravely waited in line while Keira and I did some souvenir shopping and looking around.

IMG_1639
IMGP8578
Times Square
A well deserved rest after scoring our tickets.
IMG_1595
Where's Waldo? Where's Keira?

We ended up watching Nice Work If You Can Get It with Matthew Broderick and Kelli O'Hara. What a show! From start to finish, it was hysterical, fun and the songs by the Gershwins are still a treat to listen to today. We caught Keira laughing out loud a few times and she sings & hums a few tunes now. Mostly, 'potato, potahtoh, tomato, tomahto, let's call the whole thing off'. lol.

If we had been there a few more days, we would have gone to see another show. I would have loved to have brought Keira to see Newsies or even Spiderman!

IMG_1581
I'm a big Law & Order fan and when I saw this, I flipped. The Jerry Orbach Theatre!
IMGP8563
Didn't buy much in NYC but I did drop a few in here... Love Superdry!
IMGP8586
Keira trying out her new heels, doing a little song & dance
IMG_1527

It's always a magical time in NYC, even with the noise, the twice daily garbage pickups, the smells, the people, the buzz. But even that must come to an end. We left feeling pretty darn good & happy. We also ended up at the Outlet shops just an hour outside of New York and did all our shopping there. How could we not?

IMG_1727
This is Keira taking care of Jessie on the road trip back home.

This was, I think, the best road trip in the 4 years we've been doing this. Just amazing to be back at the beach with the best of friends, watching Keira have the time of her life happy with Miss S. Then meeting up with Anabel and her beautiful family in Washington, and then the high buzz of NYC.

It makes us grateful for having had the experience...

IMGP8533

7 comments:

sheri fujihara chen said...

No better word.
Magical.
Happy summer memories!

The Wanderers' Daughter said...

Ah, lovely. Making me miss NY! Thanks for the vicarious visit! Love your photos.

Kim Cunningham said...

A city that has captured my heart! Love seeing it as you saw it!

Mammis said...

All your holiday pictures are really beautiful! Keira is just the cutest girl ever. I've been reading your blog for some time now but this is my first comment. It's a funny coinsidence that you like Marimekko. You see, I'm Finnish and Marimekko is a Finnish brand :)

ChantaleP said...

Thank you @Wanderers's Daughter!

ChantaleP said...

@KimCunningham, thank you so much. It's very hard NOT to love nyc..

ChantaleP said...

@Mammis, Thank you so much! I love Marimekko and Finland is on my top list to visit in my lifetime. I think the people and country are tops. Your comment made my day. : )