October 3, 2011

smells like, hm, tween spirit

about a girl
come as you are, as you were, as i want you to be...
channeling her inner seattle


Flashes of tween spirit. Scary. I want to hold onto 6yo Keira for as long as I can. I break out in a sweat whenever I start to think of Keira in her teens. Will she hate me? Will she want nothing to do with me? Will all those hormones work against me? Everyone who has daughters keep telling me to 'watch out'. Girls fight with their moms while their sons love them throughout any stage. Gulp. Is this true? What?

I took these photos at my sister's place. I thought it was fun while Keira wore my striped beanie looking like she was channeling some Seattle spirit (minus the java) what with the rainy weather outside... but looking at the photos at home, it hit me how much she's grown.

Yep, smells like tween spirit.

10 comments:

Paul & Paula ★ said...

lady you scare me :)
but I have the same thoughts from time to time even so she is just 4 time is flying and one thing I really wish is that we stay close, connected and she knows for sure mommy (and daddy) are always there... and I repeat that from time to time :)

Lia Chen said...

I hope that is not true since my girl will be teen very soon. I believe our kids, boy or girl will always treasure and remember our quality time with them as long as we teach them in the right way. So don't worry too much ... K will always love you because you are a great Mom!

Layers and Layers said...

Live in the moment with her ... what happens will happen. You have NO control over it

Sandy a la Mode said...

ahhaha she is really growing up!! love all her poses!!

nath said...

I think they will be challenging times... I can see glimpse of it as well... just part of our mommy's journey ;). Let;s just hope the ride is not too bumpy

marielaure said...

oui,comme elle grandit ta puce!
elle est toujours aussi ravissante et pleine de vie!!!!!!!
la joie de vivre...un amour de petite fille!!!
gros bisous et bonne semaine!

Fei An said...

I worry for the same thing, and I have two:( They are growing at the speed of light!

Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas said...

Oh... what worrisome thoughts. Although, even in the tween stages, I can't imagine anyone not feeling lucky to have you as a mum (even if they aren't wishing to hug you in public, hehe). Enjoy these moments now. I wish the best for your mother-daughter relationship always. And by the way, I never had the typical tween/teen rebellion. I always was respectful to my parents, so I don't think those dynamics are an absolute.

Jen C said...

I agree with Fel An. I don't think it's a given you two will fight. My philosophy is this, and my kids aren't tweens yet so we'll see how it works in real world setting when we get there:

Respect is a two way street. If I respect my kids enough to know their brains are going bonkers during those crazy hormone years so sometimes they're going to do ridiculously silly things, then they should respect me enough to understand my job is to be their mother. This means I will annoy them at times. That's my job. ;)

Jen C said...

Oh and I loooove these photos! That hat is great!