January 19, 2011

po'version bento of olive & gourmando's viva las vegan

Crusty, crunchy, sweet & savory! 
strawberries & fruit salad finishes off my bento lunches for this week.
I made a batch of these panini sandwiches for my lunches this week. It's my take on my favourite sandwich on the menu over at Montréal's Olive & Gourmando and it's called the Viva Las Vegan (click here to view their menu). I'm not a vegetarian at all! But this sandwich has my mouth watering all the time. My version is but the po' lil sibling of theirs but it's still yummy all the same! 


Image Credit: Olive & Gourmando
I like these square panini bread rather than the original as they fit better into my bento boxes (and regular plastic-ware!). I use fresh tofu (about a quarter inch slices) that I pan-fry with a tiny bit of olive oil which I then set aside to cool. When I cut into the panini, I usually take out an extra portion in the middle because I find it's too much bread in one bite. I then add the tofu slices and on top, slather a whole lot of hummus! I love Fontaine Santé's caramelized onion hummus. So good. Then I add some sliced sandwich pickles (you can use dill but I prefer the sweet kind), I slather on some more hummus and then arugula on top. Then I grill the sandwich on a flat pan (if only I had a panini grill!) and that's it! It's the combination of crunch from the pickles, the peppery taste of arugula mixed with the hummus & caramelized onions plus the firm tofu.. sigh.. 

It's a delicious, nutritious and filling sandwich. My version is also about a quarter of the size you get at Olive & Gourmando! Give it a try, it's so easy and so good!

10 comments:

Lyndsey said...

OMG, I love this sandwich. I need fresh ideas on making sandwiched, sometimes you just get in a rut...same ol' same ol'. I want to try and make caramelized onion hummus too, that sounds delish!

Keri said...

That my friend is one beautiful bento! With thism, you have earned a place on my favorites list.

Great blog. I'd love for you to visit mine. It's all about the sandwich. samwich365.com

Keri

sherimiya said...

What a creative sandwich! I don't make enough sandwiches, but maybe if I had ideas like this I would pack them more often. Tofu and hummus? Woh.

ChantaleP said...

Thanks so much Lyndsey! I'm eating it right now. :p

ChantaleP said...

Whoa. Thanks Keri, I'm honoured! Your blog is fantastic!
Sheri: I do the sandwich way because it's just easier to eat and doesn't stink up the office. : )

joyce said...

i'm not a huge fan of tofu, but i'm willing to give this a try because i love all the other ingredients in the sandwich!

ChantaleP said...

Joyce: go for it! how can you be korean and not like toobu?? lol..

KLT said...

Yum! I'm seriously gonna try this. Although I would much prefer the sandwich if you were eating it with me during a very long lunch break! Thanks! My stomach is growling - do you hear it? :)

ChantaleP said...

Kristen: hahaha!! Ah yes, the grumbling tummy.. I miss it. ;p A very long lunch break with you? It's on my top 5 things to do for this year! I need a second or third job.. lotto? Airmiles? How long does it take to jog all the way to the west coast??

Susan Yuen said...

Oh my gosh that sandwich looks amazing!!! How I would love to eat that right now. :)