January 26, 2011

picnic bento!


So far this week, I haven't had a chance to try out some of the bento recipes in my new Just Bento Cookbook that I got as a birthday gift over the holidays thanks to this wonderful person --> KLTworks. I did buy all the ingredients I needed over the weekend but what with the kiddo sick and me trying to catch up with work.. there hasn't been time.

I did however, manage to find a kabocha squash and roasted them in the oven with olive oil, onions and a bit of balsamic vinegar. I tell you, they're good hot, warm or cold! For yesterday's lunch, I quickly put together a picnic style bento because everything I had seemed picnic worthy. The tortillas are filled with old fashioned chopped ham.. I also added sweet bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and olives with a hummus dip with some salami/prociutto mix rolls. On the side? Roasted kabochas sprinkled with roasted sesame seeds. Yum! Quick and easy.

6 comments:

Paul & Paula said...

interesting! sounds all so healthy and wonderfully colourful!
wow!
inspires me to add some colour to hubby's lunchbox from time to time!

Lyndsey said...

What a nice birthday gift, I want that book too. I'll have to put it on my birthday list. This bento looks good, so bright and cheery! The squash sounds good, good to know it good cold too.

sherimiya said...

Welcome to the kabocha lovers club! Always glad to have new members! I love your picnic bento; it must be lovely to enjoy such a sunny lunch when it's so cooolllld outside...

ChantaleP said...

Sheri: I thought you meant sunny day. lol. Which I never get to see sitting at my desk all day. : )
Thanks ladies!

Susan Yuen said...

Wow, that looks absolutely delish!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! This looks amazing, Chantale... I've been trying to avoid deli meat while pregnant... but it's hard. And your beautiful creation isn't helping, hehe. But in about two weeks, I can return to sushi and salami and... the list goes on. : ) Yeah!

Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas