November 14, 2010

a portrait by paule t.b.




Remember how last year, to mark Keira's 5th birthday I had the wonderful Tuesday Mourning aka Merrilee Liddiard to illustrate a custom portrait of her (click here to view)? Well this year, I wasn't thinking of doing anything at all until I stumbled across Paule T.B.'s illustrations on the English Muffin blog (which is pretty terrific by the way). I fell in love with her style and the fact that she's a fellow Montrealer, well.. icing on the cake really. I contacted her and asked if she would be willing to illustrate her rendition of Keira. I didn't think I'd get a response to be honest. But I did and it was good!

Paule is really an incredible artist and she is seriously a wonderful and sweet person. She asked me some questions on Keira (what her likes are) and I sent her some photos. And the result is fantastic! I love it. Maybe Keira will think I'm crazy for doing these but.. maybe not. Who knows.. I just love meeting artists and seeing Keira through their eyes. Keira has already seen these and thought, 'when did I eat ice cream with jelly beans in them??'. Lol!

Please head on over to Paule's blog http://blog.pauleillustration.com/ and her illustration site http://pauleillustration.com/. They're both fab!! Thank you so much Paule for taking on this commission!
(the first sketches below)...


14 comments:

KLT said...

I love this idea Chantale- I really do! What a terrific way to document each year. The paintings are so charming. I'm like you in the fact that I love getting to meet new artists - this is such a cool way to do it. Every time I read your posts I think I always mutter, "what a lucky little girl...." Hope you have a nice Monday!

Lia Chen said...

Love the illustration so much! You are so creative to think about this cool idea for Keira. I'm sure she is very proud to have you as a super awesome mom :)

kribss said...

super cute! and i love that you got one for her last year too- great way to document her growing up : ) happy monday!

Chantale said...

@KLT: Kristin, you ARE an artist! lol.. I've loved getting to know you better. Maybe next year, I might ask you to do K's portrait in sewing form. ha! Get ready..
Lia: I'm not a super mom like You! You actually make things that are feast for your kids eyes and stomach. I just get other ppl to do things for me. lol. Not so great.
@kribss: I might be crazy but it's really fun to see how other artists interpret her face. : )

nath said...

Gorgeous!!!

OhayoBento said...

Wow, what a great job! Gorgeous!

Bron @ Baby Space said...

This is so sweet. Such an adorable way to mark a moment and totally unique. I love it!

Leah said...

This is so sweet!! It turned out amazing!

Luvs!

Susan Yuen said...

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely priceless! What a beautiful portrait that will always bring back wonderful memories of Keira at this age. :)

kribss said...

me too! she has such a sweet face : ) and girl, you know you're crazy- the good crazy!!

Audrey said...

Beautiful! They are so special!

I love your new company. The furniture are all clean lines and look so solid. Do you not need any sleep?! haha I can't believe how much you get done in a 24 hour period.

joyce said...

"when did i eat ice cream with jelly beans" is hilarious! i love love love her rendition. i actually love the sketches too.

Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas said...

Hay it already been a year!?!? I remember viewing last year's birthday portrait. Both are beautifully sweet renditions of Keira, and I'm sure they will both be cherished for years and years to come. Very cool that you are doing this for Keira...

Anonymous said...

I like this site. Really nice place for all