October 4, 2010

kimbap bento with a twist


Last week, I missed out on a twitter convo all about tacos. Yep, tacos! Looking at everyone's taco tasty dishes, I wanted to try it out this weekend. It's been sooo long since my last taco Father, forgive me please.

But after seeing a lot of twitter pics and blog posts like Debra's kongbap, kimbap and Sheri's California roll.. I just had to fulfill my destiny (haha!) and make my next week's lunches in the form of... kimbap! Oh, it ain't pretty (or as Keira and her bff say, prehteh) but it sure does taste good. I did not add vinegar to the rice.. or sesame oil as my mom does. I added carrots, cucumbers, tamagoyaki (or as best as I could make it) and surprise surprise, orange slices! For extra mouth watering flavour, I made a spicy kochujang mayonnaise. Yeah, that's right! Kochujang mayonnaise. I think I ate more kimbap than cut them tonight. heehee. I love that crunch from the carrots and sweetness from the orange with the sweet spiciness of the kochujang.

6 comments:

Lia Chen said...

Wow! I should say your kimbap is very unique with orange slices and Kochujang mayonnaise. I don't like to add vinegar to the rice too ... any quick tips to make Kochujang mayonnaise?

Chantale said...

Haha! Lia, yes. Mine is shamefully easy: 1 bottle of ready made kochujang + your favourite mayonnaise. Mix according to your taste (& spice level) and voila!

Leah said...

Kimbap is my fave!!!! This looks amazing!!!

Luvs!

sherimiya said...

Love the kimbap! Never would have thought to add orange + kochujang mayo. Wow -- wonder how that tastes? Will just have to try!

joyce said...

Orange in kimbap?!? You're a nut.

Susan Yuen said...

Yummo!!! That is a bento after my own heart! I love kimbap too. :)