September 6, 2010

buk & nola,

Buk & Nola, 1593 Laurier East, Montreal, Quebec. Don't miss it!
I spy with my little eye, tons of beautifully crafted cushions in the window! Pain du sucre, skinny laminx, roddy&ginger, anita and more..

Keira with our new roddy & ginger cushion!
Montreal design lives! There is a powerful surge of fashion, furniture & home decor shops in Montreal that throbs with the city's heartbeat. We went through St Laurent blvd and even only in a year's time, it has become packed with eclectic & impressive new stores featuring talent from here. Our destination though was on Laurier street. Ah.. Laurier. One of our favorite streets for drinks & food (Dieu du ciel! for beers, Chao Phraya for incredible thai food, Toi, Moi Café for coffee & dessert.. in that order) before Keira arrived in our lives.

I had heard about this new home decor shop located on Laurier called Buk & Nola online and in magazines like Style At Home and House & Home as well as many blogs like my fave LakeJane and DamasketDentelle. With each new press that I read, the structure of the shop remained the same but the merchandise changed with each new photo. I've been curious about this shop for many months and I finally had a reason to visit today. I needed a gift for a family friend who we'll be visiting next weekend. I love her dearly, she's like family to us.

Well, upon entering Buk & Nola my expectations were met and thensome! I love how the entire store is geared towards the customers, everything merchandised so you could clearly see the products on hand and most importantly.. it felt welcoming & touchable. I mean, as soon as I saw the Skinny Laminx cushions, I was in heaven! Sadly, this time around I did not walk away with a skinny laminx purchase. Remember? I'm not the one in focus today. I did buy something for my friend but when I brought these items home, I wanted to keep them for myself! But no no.. It will be a big surprise for her. I will post the pics and information of these wonderful items after she gets it. But it is gorgeous, hand made and most importantly.. made in Montreal!

I also had trouble trying to choose a Roddy & Ginger cushion. I could not walk away without it for Keira's playroom.

I am loving buying things that are hand made and having that 'will be handed down through generations' quality.  Buk & Nola really surprised me. Not only does it have an incredibly rich and diverse selection but there are also some one-of-a-kind furniture on sale and almost all items are selected because of its individualistic quality. Everything in the store also has a great price point as well. You might have to pounce on an item you like because I have a funny feeling there is a high turnover rate for its products! I am going back to get a few more items for my home..

If you're in Montreal or making a visit here.. then this is one shop on your must-see list! Thank you Laurence for a wonderful shopping experience!

9 comments:

Audrey said...

I like how you put so much thought into all the items you pick out. You are really lucky to have these great stores you can shop at. I would love to browse through all these beautiful shops in Montreal. Instead I'm shopping at Walmart, Zellers and Winners. Sigh.

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Buk and Nola looks like a great store, Chantale. I especially like the effort they have gone to visual merchandise their products - the effect is effortless and intriguing. Can't beat a well presented store. A well presented store with those Roddy & Ginger cushions? Well, they pretty much knock it out the park!

Nani said...

Wow that looks and sounds like an awesome store. I am like making a mental note of all the things you visit so when I do get to take a trip I will make sure to go there. I think I might have to talk the hubs into a Montreal trip soon!

Sandy a la Mode said...

that looks like such a beautiful little store! i love finding gems like this in my hometown!

nath said...

Just makes me want to discover Montreal even more...

Bron @ Baby Space said...

Ooh, I want to visit that store! Love all those cushions in the window & the one you picked for the playroom- wonderful pattern & colours.

KLT said...

What a gorgeous looking store! Love all of the handmade textiles!

Chantale said...

Thanks everyone! I've been wanting to visit this store for over a year now. For a small square footage, this store really packs a punch in terms of unique products. I was lucky to meet one of the owners and she is a wonderful person & extremely knowledgeable. If you're in Montreal, it really should be on your hot spot list!

joyce said...

Will do...once the house is ready for some decorating!